Apple picking in the Ottawa area
It’s almost the season for apple picking in the Ottawa area, here is a list of where to go for this great family outing.
A list of pick-your-own apple orchards near Ottawa
Log Cabin Orchard
- Where: 6121 Cabin Rd., Osgoode K0A 2W0
- Directions: Exit Hwy. 416 at Roger Stevens Drive and follow Regional Road 6. 20 minutes from west-end Ottawa
- Hours: Open daily from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Cost: Parking and all activities free. 1/8 bushel is $8. Fresh apple pies and apple crisp (which can be ordered in advance) are $10.
- Information: logcabinorchard.ca, 613-826-5081
- Extras: Petting zoo, wagon ride, Churros and photobooth
Mountain Apple Orchards
- Where: 10175 Clark Rd., Mountain K0E 1S0
- Directions: Exit Hwy. 416 at Hwy. 43. Turn right on Hwy. 22 and left on Bennet Road (which changes into Clark Road). Less than an hour from Ottawa.
- Hours: Open daily from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Cost: A 10 lb. basket is $16; 20 lbs. is $27. Cider donuts are $1. All activities and parking are free.
- Information: mountainorchards.ca, 613-989-5601
- Where: 1480 County Road 32, Crysler, ON K0A 1R0
- Directions: From the 417 East, take exit 88 and go through Embrun. Turn right on Ste Marie Street and drive nine kilometers. 1 hour from west-end Ottawa.
- Hours: Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Cost: Apples are $2.75 per kilo. Parking is free. An unlimited activity pass is $13 or $44 for a family of 4.
- Information: CannamoreOrchard.com, 613-448-3633
- Where: 101 Herzburg Rd., Kanata K2K 2Y3
- Directions: Exit the Queensway at March Road and head north. Turn left at Herzburg Road. 10 minutes from downtown
- Hours: Saturday and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Cost: $1.25 per pound (cash only)
- Information: pinewoodorchards.com
Orléans Fruit Farm
- Where: 1399 St. Joseph Blvd. K1C 7K9
- Directions: Head east on the Queensway towards Orléans. Exit at Montreal Road. Turn right on St-Joseph Blvd. Twenty minutes from the west-end.
- Hours: Saturdays and Sunday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Cost: $1.25 per pound (same price for the past 4 years)
- Contact: orleansfruitfarm.ca, 613-830-1303
- 1/2 kg Flour
- 1/2 litre milk
- 1 pack of baking powder (roughly 14 g)
- 4 packs of Vanilla sugar (roughly 4 x 8 g of vanilla)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 kg apple, cut into slices
- Mix all ingredients together well. Coat apple slices and deep fry until golden brown, only a few minutes.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Serve hot.
Apple Cinnamon Loaf
- 1/3 c brown sugar (not packed
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2/3 c white sugar
- 1/2 c butter softened
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2c all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 c milk
- 2 apples, peeled
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl and set aside. Beat white sugar and butter together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until incorporated; add vanilla extract.
- Combine the flour and baking powder together in another bowl; stir into creamed butter mixture. Mix milk into batter until smooth.
- Pour half the batter into prepared pan. Next, add half the apples and half the brown sugar-cinnamon mixture. Lightly pat apples into the batter.
- Pour the remaining batter over apple layer; top with remaining apples and add more brown sugar-cinnamon mixture. Lightly pat apples into batter; swirl brown sugar mixture through apples using a finger or spoon.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in center of the loaf comes out clean, 30-40 minutes. This recipe took 65 minutes in my oven.
Ottawa with kids Index
Bonnechere Caves; Ontario’s Natural Underground Wonder
A Visit to the Canadian Children’s Museum
When to visit museums in Ottawa for free
Guide to the Canadian Tulip Festival in Ottawa
Afternoon Tea at Chateau Laurier
Exploring Gatineau Park in the Fall
Ottawa’s Best Splash Pads
Best Coffee Shops in Ottawa
How to Celebrate Christmas in Canada
Ottawa with kids; The Ultimate Guide